Last night I uploaded my 4th app to the Apple app store, so I figured I'd talk a bit about the process.
Fate Core. I knew that the campaign would be wildly successful. (Actually, I underestimated how much it would raise by a good deal.) I was just about done with my LWRPG character sheet app, and thought that it would be a good candidate for another character sheet app. I searched around the app store a bit, and it looked like there wasn't another player in the market at all.
Fate Core uses the OGL license, and is also under a very non-restrictive Creative Commons license. Anyone can create something like this with no problem. I contacted Fred Hicks, the main face behind the Fate system and Evil Hat Productions in general, and asked for his blessing. He said that I may not be the only person attempting it, but to have at it. I spent some time going over the Fate Core rules from the December preview of the Kickstarter, and really started plugging away at the code during Christmas Break. It took almost 3 months of work in my free time to get it completed.
I pulled out the dice roller from the app early on, and made it a stand alone iPhone app. I tossed it up on the app store for free in early January. It's been getting pretty consistent traffic since then.
With this app, I decided that I wanted to support both portrait and landscape with two separate layouts so that users would have more options. I decided to implement the two layouts by putting two different views into one XIB file and keep both views in the same view controller. In hindsight, I think this was a mistake. I had a lot of trouble getting the rotation to work properly in all the subviews. Next time, I'll make sure to do separate view controllers for both orientations. Eventually I got everything working by having the master view controller set a "isLandscape" variable in the subviews.
I also spent a couple days poking around with Dropbox trying to sync the data so that if an iPad gets wiped, not all of the files are lost. I hit some pretty major roadblocks in this, and decided to push that off to an update. I still plan to make it happen, just not for a while.
I have a handful of other features that I'm going to be adding in with the 1.1 update. I'm going to spend some time on a couple other projects, then come back and start on 1.1 in a few weeks.
If Apple approves of it on the first try, (I don't see why they won't) it should get released by next Monday. I have the price set at $2.99 (in the US).