Project: Arcade Machine Complete
I am finally (mostly) finished with my arcade cabinet, so I thought I would do a break down of my process along with general thoughts about how things went with each step. For the most part I followed this tutorial from instructables.
I started out with 2 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF. I would have actually preferred to have 5/8 inch just because it would have been less weight, but the local lumber yard that I went to only had 3/4 inch. I don't have a pickup, and I needed the sheets in their full size, so I had them deliver the MDF. Delivery was free and they had it at my house within 20 minutes. Living in a small town is great sometimes. I cut two side panels out of the MDF. The first one I measured each corner based on the template from the tutorial. I used my jigsaw to cut it out, and I'm actually really impressed with how straight I made the cuts. I traced the first one to cut out the second one. Once I had two mostly identical pieces, I clamped them together and sanded them so that they would be the same. They're not perfectly the same, but they are really close.
I put in a hinge on the section that is directly below the control panel instead of down lower where it is in the tutorial. I had to add in more bracing pieces to hold that lower angled piece in the right spot. The door piece actually hangs down lower than I wanted it to, I should have mounted the hinge differently, but when you look at it, it's hard to tell, so I'm not too worried about it.
I had the local glass place cut me three pieces of plexiglass to cover the control panel, the monitor and for the top marquee. They ended up not cutting them as straight as I would have liked and I had to recut one edge of the monitor piece with my dremel. Fortunately I picked up a good dremel in a garage sale a couple years ago, so this was pretty easy to do.
slagcoin. I'm using a standard japanese arcade scheme. I printed it on two sheets of paper and lined them up when drilling the holes. Then to do the artwork, I created a new project the size of the control panel (24x13 inches) then put two copies of the same control layout right in the file. I then used some tutorial that I can't find again to create the circular sci-fi feeling elements in illustrator and put those around the joysticks and a couple buttons. I made the beehive hex area pretty much from scratch by making a hexagon and copying it a bunch of times.
Stephenson's Rocket. It just has a little bit more hardware support than the regular build.
With this all written up, I'm going to go play some games.